Our four-legged friends are an important part of our families, and keeping them safe from hazards in the home is an important part of pet ownership. Mold can have dramatic health effects on your animal. Unfortunately, it’s a rather common household occurrence in Tampa, Florida, thanks to our damp climate. Here are some tips on handling mold in your home to keep your pet happy and healthy.
Know Where to Look
The first step in keeping your space mold and mildew free is to know where to look when you suspect the presence of biological growth in your home. Common locations include laundry rooms where moisture builds up, underneath sinks, and in bathrooms where ventilation isn’t used regularly or properly. Be sure to check these areas, particularly if your pet frequently visits them. Smaller animals like cats or ferrets have a tendency to get up into cupboards and small spaces, so be sure to keep an eye out if they have favorite hiding spots.
Remove and Clean
If you’ve found any mold, it’s time to get rid of it. Simply wiping it away won’t do much to fix your issue, especially if it’s in an area that is frequently damp; it will just regrow. If there’s a lot, we recommend professional removal. While not all mold is toxic, many strains are, and these can cause your pet to experience serious symptoms like lethargy, lameness, and skin rashes or sores. Many of these symptoms can be caused by inhalation of the spores, which may linger in the air if the cleaning isn’t conducted thoroughly.
After you’ve removed the mold or had it professionally cleaned away, your job isn’t over. Continue to monitor those areas and your pet’s health to ensure no regrowth is occurring. Mold tends to linger in areas that don’t get enough ventilation, so use your ventilation systems regularly and appropriately to help mitigate these issues.
If you’re concerned about mold in your home, the experts at ServiceMaster can help. Give us a call at 813-603-2001 to set up an appointment today!
Image provided by Shutterstock