If you’re like most Clearwater, Florida, homeowners, keeping your home safe from disaster is an important consideration. Household fires are one of the most devastating occurrences that can happen to a home. Knowing which common household items are flammable can help reduce the risk of accidents and keep you and your loved ones safe. Here are three of the most flammable common household items.
Extension cords are incredibly handy around the house, especially when you need to plug something in that isn’t quite close enough to the outlet. While general usage is totally fine and shouldn’t cause concern, issues arise when these handy tools are overtaxed or overused. Be sure to check your extension cords regularly for any fraying or damage before using them to help reduce the chance of accidental electrical fires. In addition, never overtax your extension cords. Too many items plugged in or too hard of a voltage draw can lead to sparks and disaster.
Flour is a common baking ingredient that can be found in most kitchens. While safe on its own, the fine grain texture of flour makes it surprisingly, and devastatingly, flammable. When using flour, be sure to keep it away from any open flames or heat sources to reduce the chance of it igniting. Using caution with this common ingredient can go a long way in keeping your family safe.
It seems like common sense, but it’s important to remember that many preventable house fires are caused by candles. These fires often occur when homeowners forget that a candle has been lit or when candles are placed near clutter like towels or other flammable items. When you light a candle, be sure to place it in a clear, open area and to extinguish it when you won’t be in the same area to enjoy it.
ServiceMaster 24 Hour takes fire dangers very seriously. If something in your house catches fire, we can help restore your home and reduce the chances of repeat disasters. Give us a call at 727-201-0499 today!
Image provided by Shutterstock