Mold is a topic that a Tampa, FL homeowner never wants to think about, but if they are thinking about mold, it’s likely because they have discovered it. Finding mold growth in your home can be both dangerous and costly if not handled properly. Chances are if you have found mold growth in your home you desperately want and need to eliminate it as soon as possible, so much so you may even attempt the removal of the mold growth yourself.
When removing something like mold, the first chemical that typically comes to mind is bleach. However, bleach is the exact chemical you do NOT want to use when it comes to removing mold. Unfortunately, bleach is often the go-to answer for eliminating and stopping mold growth. This is because bleach is the strongest chemical kept in most households. But bleach won’t remove biologic growth on porous surfaces and can even be a contributor to mold growth.
Bleach Loses Effectiveness Over Time
If you leave a glass of chlorinated water out on the counter for a few days, the chlorine will completely evaporate even within the container. The evaporation proves to us that there’s no way to ensure the potency of the bleach because most bleach contains chlorine, which escapes through the plastic bottle. All that said, if you don’t know how old your bleach is, your cleaner itself may hardly be effective. This means that the bleach will only partially kill biologic growth.
Bleach Contributes To Mold Growth
On the backside of most bleach bottles, it typically states something similar to the following, “designated for non-porous surfaces” such as plastic and metals. Assuming the bleach is still potent enough to be effective, this means the bleach will only kill light surface mold on most surfaces. Using bleach on wood, walls, or other porous surfaces won’t remove the actual roots of the mold growth. In addition to this, the water component in the bleach will be left behind after the evaporation of the chemical composition, and this will contribute to mold growth, allowing it to stay alive and spread.
Bleach Is Toxic
Like biologic growth, bleach produces fumes that can become very harmful to your health over time. One by-product bleach generates is “dioxin,” which is known to be linked to various cancers. When bleach is used too much, especially in the same places, these toxins build up and could lead to more harmful fumes in your home.
What You Should Use To Remove Mold Growth
There are many alternatives to bleach that are much more effective and safer for getting rid of biologic growth. However, before attempting to remove mold growth yourself, always be sure to consult with a certified licensed professional like ServiceMaster Restore. Any biologic growth can be extremely hazardous and harmful to your health if not handled correctly and promptly.
After consulting with a mold expert, if you’re still going to attempt to clean the mold growth yourself, it’s best to use chemicals like vinegar, borax, hydrogen peroxide, tea tree oil, or ammonia. These alternatives are more effective than bleach for removing biologic growth for good, especially on small areas and non-porous surfaces. These products can also be used to sanitize mold growth and mildew on clothing. However, if you’re dealing with a porous surface that you cannot remove, such as wood framing or walls, a more specific or professional removal technique may be needed.
In some cases of biologic growth, the affected area of the building material itself will need to be cut out and replaced. That will most definitely ensure that the roots of the biologic growth are entirely gone and won’t return. It’s also strongly recommended that the area be tested to determine the type of mold you are dealing with before the removal process is started. Once you know the kind of mold you’re dealing with that will help you better determine what type of chemicals you may need to remove the mold growth.
ServiceMaster 24 Hour Can Mitigate Your Mold
If you have found evidence of mold or biologic growth in your home or business, call us today to schedule a consultative appointment at (813) 603-2001.