24/7 Emergency Services

Dealing with mold in your home in Pinellas County, Florida, is never a fun experience. Indoor mold can cause a variety of health symptoms in those who suffer from allergies. It’s not always easy to know when you have mold growing in your home, but keep an eye out for these warning signs.

Health Symptoms

The symptoms that can be caused by exposure to indoor mold are similar to those you may experience when you’re coming down with a cold or suffering from allergies to other outdoor allergy triggers. These include coughing, sore throats, congestion, eye irritation, and congestion. One of the telltale signs that your symptoms are being caused by something indoors is when you feel better as soon as you leave your home. If your allergies do not worsen when you’re outside or your cold never seems to go away, it’s certainly possible that you’re suffering from an allergy to indoor mold.

When your heating and cooling system runs, it pulls air through the ducts and into the unit. This air can contain allergens, including mold spores. As the air is recirculated through the vents in the various rooms, the mold spores can be stirred up and cause more irritation. It’s especially common to experience these symptoms more severely when you wake up in the morning when you have mold growth in the home since you’ve spent the whole night breathing the contaminated air.

Dark Spots

If you spot visible signs of mold growth, this usually indicates a much bigger problem. You might think the dark spots on your walls, ceilings, or floors are caused by soot or dirt, but mold is harder to clean off than a dirty spot. This type of growth may also show up as clusters of spots in several areas or in different colors, such as gray, green, brown, or white. Thread-like mold might look more like a spider web. If you have vinyl-based wallpaper on the walls, mold peeking through often appears in brighter shades of purple, pink, or orange.

Visible signs of mold growth indicate that the mold has spread. This type of fungus tends to stay hidden in dark, undisturbed places, so you could have a major colony growing behind the wall, floor, or ceiling where you’re seeing the spots. You should never ignore the sign of mold growth, especially when it’s popping up on your walls.


Since mold typically remains hidden from view, one of the best ways to detect it is an odor. Mold has a distinctive smell that is earthy and damp. Some people compare it to the odor of wet and decaying leaves, while others think mold smells like dirty socks. If you notice any of these odors in places where they shouldn’t be, such as coming from a kitchen cupboard or near the wall of your home, it’s probably worth bringing in a professional to test for mold.

Not all mold has an odor, and different strains and types of mold can smell very different. Regardless of the smell, mold releases volatile organic compounds into the air that can be dangerous, so it’s important to get rid of the mold keep your air clean and healthy.

Moisture and Leaks

After a leak or flood, mold growth is almost inevitable. The problem comes when you don’t know you have a leak, such as with a cracked pipe behind a wall or a flood in an attic or basement that isn’t accessed very often. Even condensation from pipes that haven’t been properly protected could lead to mold growth. If you have experienced a flood recently, it’s important to have professional mold testing to determine whether the water exposure has caused any type of growth.

You can also keep an eye out for signs of plumbing issues and water leaks in your home, such as wet spots on the ceilings or walls, slow-moving or clogged drains, or puddles on the floors.

If you spot any of these signs of mold growth in your home, contact us at ServiceMaster Restore by calling 727-201-0499 to discuss mold remediation options.

Image provided by Shutterstock


Pin It on Pinterest